Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Books: Pale Blue Dot

I have finished reading my First E-Book. "Pale Blue Dot" by the Late Great Carl Sagan. It was hugely enjoyable. Also reading it on my Sony Ebook reader was a hoot. About the book Sagan a proponent of Space exploration and of SETI ( the search for extraterrestrial life) make a balanced case for why we should explore the solar system and why we should support efforts like SETI. Over all he does agree that man spaced flight has more a political or social than a scientific benefit, with unmanned spaceflight having the most promise. Only one chapter covered SETI though, with a hint at possible alien signals. The book was written in 1993, he covered all NASA space missions util then, so no mention of the much publicized NASA mission to Mars in 1997.

Some things you don't hear often is colonization of asteroids which he supports, and moving asteroids around earth's orbit over which he has many reservations (at least for the short term).

Anyway hugely enjoyable, I recommend it to anyone.


As for the rest of the books I am reading:
I am still struggling with Covey's 8th Habbit which someone gifted me and Herta Muller's Passport. I fail to get excited about Covey's work related self help, although it has some useful tips. As for the Passport its language is too difficult, which is why i have been reading this 93 page book for more than a month now.

I have put Graham's "The intelligent inventor" on the shelf along with the books I have not finished. I won't be reading this until i have finished some other more interesting book.

I am thinking of starting reading a new book that I could get more interested in. I am thinking of starting "Thank You for Arguing: What Aristotle, Lincoln, and Homer Simpson Can Teach Us About the Art of Persuasion" by Jay Heinrichs. This might help me more in online chats, so I will read it very carefully. I have gotten this book a while back. In fact i had ordered in from Libraries Antoine last October and it came early December. As always I will keep you posted with what I read next.

No comments:

Post a Comment